Re: @else in Media Queries

From: Mark Brown <mark@mercurylang.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:54:59 +1000
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 12:54 AM, Mark Brown <mark@mercurylang.org> wrote:
>> Has anyone considered something like
>>
>>   @switch {
>>       @case C1 { ... }
>>       @case C2 { ... }
>>       @default { ... }      /* optional */
>>   }
>>
>> ?
>
> That's identical to the current proposal, just with an extra level of
> nesting.

More or less. Put another way, a large part of this discussion is
essentially about whether or not it is okay to get rid of one pair of
braces.

> I don't believe the current proposal is error-prone enough
> to justify adding an additional rule.  (People don't screw up their
> if-else chains regularly in other languages.)

That claim's not being made. I can, however, make the following claims:

* Software that is able to generically handle group rules will be able
to handle this. E.g., existing editors are likely to be able to
block-fold the entire semantic structure as well as any individual
branch.

* Since there's no need to ensure that chains are unambiguously
resolved, there's more flexibility in the choice of rules and rule
names. For example, the children can all be @when rules as in the
current proposal, and @else can instead be written "@when true" if you
like. There's no need for the (unusual, I think) use of "else" with a
condition...

* The human cost is one level of nesting. YMMV!

Mark