Re: [css-color] vendor named color enhancement

Hi Alex,

On 7/21/16 3:16 PM, Alex Cohen wrote:
> The idea is pretty simple. As you probably already know, Pantone is pretty well known across the printing industry for it’s color standards. Designers can specify Pantone color in a simple and efficient manner and rest assured that the final output product will reflect what they imagined. We want to apply that same concept to the web.
>

> A good example I like to use is a can of Coke. Wherever you are, anywhere you go, you will recognize the red they use, it’s their “brand” color. It’s important that this color be reproduced correctly across all their manufacturing plants so that you can compare two cans printed in totally different locations and not see a difference in color.
>

> The same could be applied to the web through a new set of vendor specific css color names.

You can already do this on the web today with css variables, right?

`--coke-red: rgb(244, 0, 0)`

> Example:
>
> Actual PANTONE Color Name: PANTONE 101 C
>
> Web PANTONE Color Name: p101c

IANAL, but does this mean Pantone wants to change its Terms of Use[1][2]
to allow me to author code which produces exact pantone values?

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone#Intellectual_property>
[2] <http://www.pantone.com/terms-of-use>

--
Mike Taylor