RE: [css-round-display] Percentages of 'polar-distance' when origin is not the center of the containing block

From: Jihye Hong <jh.hong@lge.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:39:15 +0900
To: "'Florian Rivoal'" <florian@rivoal.net>
Cc: "'Brad Kemper'" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "'www-style list'" <www-style@w3.org>
 > On Jan 28, 2016, at 4:06 PM, Florian Rivoal < florian@rivoal.net > wrote:
 >
 > > On Jan 27, 2016, at 20:43, Jihye Hong <jh.hong@lge.com> wrote:
 > > Sorry, I used confusing expression, 'circular' dependency.
 > >
 > > What I want to explain was, using the #2, the calculated value of the
 > > percentage polar-distance changes depending on the polar-angle value.
 > > There are some usecases when all the elements in a containing block
 > > have '50%' for polar-distance properties and the origin of polar
 > > coordinates isn't center.
 > > For #1 [1], all the calculated value of the percentage polar-distance
 > > of elements are same because they have same percentage values.
 > > But for #2 [2], the calculated distances between the each element and
 > > the origin point are different.
 > >
 > > I couldn't find any usage of percentage for the property's value
 > which
 > > has dependency on another properties.
 > > If there exists cases, then #2 seems to be appropriate, but if not,
 > > or another way can solve this problem.
 >
 > I see what you meant. Ultimately, we will need to deal with this
 > dependency to take care of "polar-distance: ***% contain", so I don't
 > think it makes a huge difference.
 >
 > Speaking of which what use cases do we have for using polar-distance
 > with a percentage and not using contain? I'm wondering if we should
 > make "contain" the default, or possibly the only behavior for
 > percentages.

There is an usecase about using "polar-distance: 100%".

As you can see in the main screen UI of a page[1], there are buttons for
calls, messages, and mail.
And there are rounded text boxes to notify the number of calls, messages,
and mail at upper-right part of the buttons.
Those text boxes can be positioned with "polar-distance: 100%; polar-angle:
30deg" when their containing blocks are the buttons.

In this case, the polar-distance with a percentage without contain seems
useful.

[1] https://www.behance.net/gallery/19204347/UX-for-Wearables

Thanks,
Jihye