RE: [css-round-display] Percentages of 'polar-distance' when origin is not the center of the containing block

 > On Jan 22, 2016, at 3:29 AM, Brad Kemper < brad.kemper@gmail.com > wrote:
 > > On Jan 20, 2016, at 11:01 PM, Jihye Hong <jh.hong@lge.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > There is an action item[1] of CSS Round display from the last F2F
 > > meeting in Sapporo. It is about clarifying 'polar-distance'
 > > percentages when origin is not the center.
 > >
 > > There could be 2 options for the definition of percentages :
 > >
 > >    1. relative to the shortest distance between the origin of polar
 > > coordinates and edges of containing block.
 > >    2. relative to the distance from the origin of polar coordinates to
 > > edges of containing block.
 >
 > #2 is as measured along the ray of the angle, right? That one seems
 > more useful to me (though the language would need to change if we use
 > alignment properties instead of polar origin).
 >

 > > Because of the fact that origin is not the center, the distance
 > > between the origin of polar coordinates and the edge of containing
 > > block vary according to the 'polar-angle' value.
 > >
 > > In the first option, the 'polar-distance' value given by percentages
 > > is constant no matter which value the 'polar-angle' has.
 > > This case is satisfied with the directional consistency and avoiding
 > > circular dependency.
 >
 > Can you give an example of when circular dependency is an issue?

Sorry, I used confusing expression, 'circular' dependency.

What I want to explain was, using the #2, the calculated value of the
percentage polar-distance changes depending on the polar-angle value.
There are some usecases when all the elements in a containing block have
'50%' for polar-distance properties and the origin of polar coordinates
isn't center.
For #1 [1], all the calculated value of the percentage polar-distance of
elements are same because they have same percentage values.
But for #2 [2], the calculated distances between the each element and the
origin point are different.

I couldn't find any usage of percentage for the property's value which has
dependency on another properties.
If there exists cases, then #2 seems to be appropriate, but if not, #1 or
another way can solve this problem.

Thanks,
Jihye

[1]