Re: [css-grid] Subgrids considered essential

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:21:35 +1300
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>
Cc: CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
Can you explain why 'display:contents' is not a good solution to the
problem you describe?

It seems much simpler than subgrids to me. On your blog you described it as
"a hack", but I don't see it that way. Normally in CSS an element lays out
its children but not (directly) their descendants; display:contents is a
generic way to lift an element's children to be laid out by its parent.
This is exactly what we need here. It makes more sense to me to have
display:contents than separate specs for subgrids, subblocks, subflexboxes,
subtablerows, etc.

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto