Re: Fwd: Is it possible to choose rotational direction of vertical script if I want to force them to display horizontally?

On 01/25/2016 08:23 AM, gfb hjjhjh wrote:
> For instance, traditional Mongolian script write in vertical-lr mode
> (text run vertically from top to bottom, first line start on left),
> if you use css writing mode horizontal-tb (default) then you can
> force it horizontal by rotating each line of the text by 90 degree
> anticlockwise, and the resultant text would be ltr. However, I just
> read on a Chinese webpage http://www.zhihu.com/question/30727581
> which claim there're a "traditional way" of writing Mongolian
> horizontally by rotating it 90 degree clockwise (despite I am not
> sure about what kind of tradition the webpage is referring to nor
> do i know is it legit.), is this achievable via css?

I don't think this is possible in CSS, except for one-line text
(using 'transform' to flip it 180deg). As for tradition... I don't
think Mongolian has ever been written horizontally, traditionally.
It *was* however derived from an RTL script that was rotated 90deg
counter-clockwise to create Mongolian, so perhaps that is what they
are referring to.

~fantasai