Re: [selectors4] Spec for attribute value case-sensitivity is clearly to vague

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 07:37:07 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> The spec is quite clear on the matter:
>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors-4/#case-sensitive> states plainly
>> that all of Selector syntax is case-insensitive except for the few
>> exceptions called out in that section.
>>
>> This is just a silly bug on Blink's part.
>
> OK.  Note that
>
> 1)  The tests in
> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/selectors/attribute-selectors/attribute-case
> agree with Blink here, and weren't even contributed by a Blink developer.
>
> 2)  I'm aware of the general case-insensitivity of CSS, and it still
> wasn't clear to me what the spec was trying to say, especially given the
> existing implementations and the tests.
>
> So I still maintain that an example using 'I' would be a good idea, just
> to get everyone on the same page.

Agreed that it's not clear. I wrote the test, and I *think* I brought up
this issue at the time, and we concluded that the "i" itself should be
case-sensitive. But I can't find that discussion; maybe it was on IRC.

In any case, I don't particularly care which it should be, but the spec
should be clearer. If we now conclude that Blink is wrong, I'm happy to
fix the test and file a bug on Blink.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software