Re: window.innerScreenX and window.innerScreenY

Le 2016-12-14 10:09, Gérard Talbot a écrit :
> Le 2016-12-13 08:46, Jan Norden a écrit :
>> There is currently no good way of translation a position in a browser
>> to a
>> position on the screen.
>
> Jan,
>
> Let me rephrase what I believe you were trying to say here, like this:
> there is currently no possible way of getting (retrieving) window's
> viewport (or client area) x and y coordinates of a browser in relation
> to the (operating system) screen area.
>
>> Our particular need is translating a gaze-position
>> (which we have in screen coordinates from our eyetracking hardware).
>>
>> It is possible in Firefox, using the proprietary
>> mozInnerScreenX/mozInnerScreenY,
>> but not in general.
>
> window.screenX
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/API/Window/screenX
>
> window.mozInnerScreenX
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/mozInnerScreenX
>
> window.screenY
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/API/Window/screenY
>
> window.mozInnerScreenY
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/mozInnerScreenY
>

> I added the mozInnerScreenX and mozInnerScreenY properties into an old
> webpage
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/WindowEventsNS6.html
>
> and, as far as I can see, the mozInnerScreenX and mozInnerScreenY
> properties return the equivalent of IE's screenLeft and screenTop.
>
> "
> There is a major incompatibility between MSIE 5+ window.screenTop and
> NS 6+ window.screenY. MSIE 5+ calculates the distance from the top of
> the content area (client area) to the top side of the screen. NS 6+
> calculates the distance from the top of the browser's window to the
> top side of the screen. There seems to be no way to figure out the
> height of chrome elements (menu bar, tools bar, address bar, links
> bar) present in the browser for MSIE 5+.
> "
> so, the addition of mozInnerScreenX and mozInnerScreenY properties
> makes sense.
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/ScreenXYComparedScreenLeftTop.html
>
> IE6, IE7, IE8 supported window.screenLeft and window.screenTop which
> are, by definition, the equivalent of mozInnerScreenX and
> mozInnerScreenY. I presumed here that window.screenLeft and
> window.screenTop are still supported by IE9, IE10, IE11.
>
> window.screenLeft
> "Retrieves the x-coordinate of the upper left-hand corner of the
> window frame, relative to the upper left-hand corner of the screen."
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534389(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> window.screenTop
> "Retrieves the y-coordinate of the upper left-hand corner of the
> window frame, relative to the upper left-hand corner of the screen. "

Duh! Correct quote for screenTop!

"Retrieves the y-coordinate of the top corner of the client area,
relative to the top corner of the screen."

> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534390(v=vs.85).aspx

Strangely, the screenLeft property definition is not related to client
area but rather to window frame. I suspect MSDN documentation to be
wrong here.

Gérard