Re: scroll anchoring

On 12/5/16, 2:48 PM, "Rick Byers" <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:

>No, we don't believe so.  In this case I believe what the feature needs most is real-world experience with web compat.  Basically the entire scroll anchoring feature is designed around the constraints of web compat, and the only way we'll know for sure
> whether it's really the right trade off is to try shipping it and iterate based on what we learn from the bugs that get filed.

In some cases, you have been shipping experimental features behind a flag. What’s different about this feature that prohibits that approach?

>One good outcome here would be if we shipped this, found it helped a little but not so much that any other
> browser decided to ship it too.  Then, after some time we'd probably have to admit the feature had failed to become part of the web platform (benefit in practice wasn't worth the complexity cost) and remove it.

That would be fine, I agree.

But we need to consider bad outcomes as well. Perhaps you’ll get stuck on a particular iteration because enough content has already started relying on it, and you won’t be able to make a change that you’ve discovered would make the feature much better.

I’d like to see more replies from other browsers about shipping this feature now. I see dbaron has been interested in solving this problem, but I do not see where he’s commented on this particular approach.

Thanks,

Alan