Re: [css-writing-modes] computed value for text-orientation: sideways or sideways-right

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:42:06 -0400
To: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Le 2015-09-17 06:51, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
> The recently-updated draft[1] says:
>
> # Name:           text-orientation
> # Value:          mixed | upright | sideways-right | sideways
> # ...
> # Computed value: specified value
>
> Given that 'sideways' and 'sideways-right' are defined to be
> equivalent, could/should we change this such that 'sideways-right'
> computes to 'sideways' (or possibly vice versa)? Then the UA can treat
> this as a simple alias during parsing, and avoid the need to keep
> track of the specified value just so that getComputedStyle() can
> return it correctly.
>
> Which of 'sideways' or 'sideways-right' do we want to promote as the
> "canonical" computed value, and which should be an alias? (My vote
> goes to the simpler 'sideways', fwiw.)
>
> JK
>
> [1]
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#propdef-text-orientation

I believe that 'sideways' should just be removed. Just my opinion.

If, one day, 'sideways-left' is reintroduced, then we should also
reintroduce 'sideways' like in the original intent of the spec, meaning
:

"
'sideways' value is equivalent to sideways-right in vertical-rl writing
mode and equivalent to sideways-left in vertical-lr writing mode.
"

By the way, Example 8 in
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#text-orientation
no longer makes perfect sense now that sideways-left has been removed.

Gérard