Re: [css-backgrounds] Clarification proposal for border colors

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 14:53:53 -0400
To: Adenilson Cavalcanti <a.cavalcanti@samsung.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Monday 2015-09-14 15:24 +0000, Adenilson Cavalcanti wrote:
> Finally, we could suggest an algorithm to make it easier for browser implementors to have a defined behavior, as follows:
>
> "
> Here is an algorithm example that you *may* use:
> - if color different from zero: scale original border color by 1/3 for
> lighter and 2/3 for darker color.
> - In case the color is black, fix channel colors as 30% and 70% of
> platform definition of black.
> “

For what it's worth, the Gecko algorithm is somewhat more
complicated, and implemented here:
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/de0e763b5210/layout/base/nsCSSColorUtils.cpp#l12
(though I'm not sure how the background color input to that function
is calculated, or even whether it's nontrivial).

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.