Re: [css-grid] repeat(auto) column clamping

On 08/11/2015 05:00 AM, Zephyr Pellerin wrote:
> In addition to honoring max-width/height, repeat(auto) would
> benefit from a property to clamp additional rows if the layout
> does not have enough items to complete a row (or generate as many as
> needed).
>
> A layout example could include a users page with photos positioned in
> a grid (where the user items contain subgrids). The repeat(auto) honors the
> indefinite max-width @ 100%. If I want the amount of repetition to display
> all of these users in the grid to preserve horizontal centering, there
> is no reasonable way (including flexbox) to do so today.
>
> I realize this is somewhat ambiguous, if you feel a diagram would
> illustrate the issue I can generate one.

A diagram here would be very helpful, actually. I think we understand
at least part of what you're saying, and will solve that part here:
   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#repeat-notation (see <auto-repeat>)

But I'm not sure we've got the whole picture, so, a picture would
definitely help. :)

Thanks~
~fantasai