Re: [css-text-decor] Value syntax of text-emphasis shorthand

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The current syntax of `text-emphasis` is "<‘text-emphasis-style’> ||
>> <‘text-emphasis-color’>" and the spec says "Omitted values are set to
>> their initial values". However, the initial value of
>> `text-emphasis-style` is `none`, which means it just makes no sense to
>> set only `text-emphasis-color` in this shorthand.
>>
>> Thus I propose that the syntax should be "<‘text-emphasis-style’> &&
>> <‘text-emphasis-color’>?".
>>
>> This probably also applies to `text-decoration` shorthand, whose
>> syntax could be change to "<‘text-decoration-line’> &&
>> <‘text-decoration-style’>? && <‘text-decoration-color’>?".

This is no different from the 'border' shorthand, which allows useless
declarations like "border: red thick;" (because the initial value of
'border-style' is "none").  Using || is easier to read and more
familiar.

> In addition, I guess the initial value of `text-emphasis` probably
> should also be `none`, like `text-decoration`, instead of "see
> individual properties".

Shorthands don't have initial values.  (If a shorthand's propdef block
shows an initial value, that's a mistake and we should fix it.)