[css-scroll-snap] Splitting scroll-snap-type, shorthanding on scroll container

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:31:44 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The current 'scroll-snap-type' property takes two different,
and orthogonal, sets of values:
   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-scroll-snap/#snap-type

scroll-snap-type: none | [ proximity | mandatory ] || [ x | y | block | inline | both | point ]

There are the “strictness” values and the “axis” values.

We're thinking it would make sense to have a shorthand
and two longhands here. The question is, what are they
all called?

I've come up with four ideas so far:

   a) scroll-snap         -> scroll-snap-type / scroll-snap-axis
   b) scroll-snap         -> scroll-snap-capture / scroll-snap-axis
   c) scroll-snap-type    -> scroll-snap-capture / scroll-snap-axis
   d) scroll-snap-capture -> scroll-snap-type / scroll-snap-axis

I'm not super keen on any of them and welcome other ideas.

My main reservation with a) and b) is that 'scroll-snap'
might be better used as a shorthand for 'scroll-snap-align'
and 'scroll-snap-area', which are set on descendants of the
scroll container... or alternately we may want 'scroll-snap'
to also reset the 'scroll-snap-padding' property.

Thoughts on appropriate shorthanding structures and/or names?

~fantasai