Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 10:04 PM, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 1:54 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > On Nov 13, 2015, at 2:24 PM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > We should avoid that though. Consider a case when we want to extend 1-d property to 2-d, or 1-d/2-d impls are mixed among users. So just 'start' should not have 2-d effects unless other properties or additional values are set.
>>
>> Under my proposal, 'float: start' would be short for 'float: start none', meaning 1D effect in inline direction only.
>>
>> Tab's idea was that 'float: start' would be short for 'float: start start', which would be 2D. That might have been only for the 'float-reference: <not-inline>' case though. In which case, it would be safe to use it when you had 'float-reference: inline', since that would be 1D too.
>
> Yes, but neither one of those proposals are taking stacking direction into account so far.

I don't think just those two values should determine direction with any proposal. That would be overloading their meaning in a very nonstandard way. A third value or separate property should indicate stacking direction. And since you are always starting in a corner, you only need to specify an axis, e.g. 'block', 'inline', 'vertical', or 'horizontal'.