Re: [css-flexbox] Minor clarification needed to spec text on % margins/paddings

On 07/03/2015 09:54 AM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
> Hi www-style,
>
> I just had a Twitter discussion with some web devs who (understandably)
> misunderstood the Flexbox spec text in section 4.2, "Flex Item Margins
> and Paddings".
>
> The spec text currently says (in the ED):
>    # Percentage margins and paddings on flex items are
>    # always resolved against their respective dimensions
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox-1/#item-margins
>
> The problem here is the word "their" -- it's ambiguous here. It very
> much *sounds* like it refers to "the flex items'" -- i.e. it sounds like
> it's saying that percent margins/padding on a flex item resolve against
> *the flex item's own* respective dimension.
>
> (Really, I think it's meant to refer to the margin/padding's respective
> dimension -- so margin-top's "respective dimension" is height, etc.  But
> that's a bit abstract.)
>
> Could this text be tweaked to be clearer? Perhaps just adding "of their
> containing block" at the end of this clause would be sufficient.

 From suggestions at the Flexbox workshops, updated the spec with
   # Percentage margins and paddings on flex items are always resolved
   # against their own axis: left and right margins resolve against the
   # containing’s block width, and top and bottom margins resolve
   # against the containing block’s height. Unlike blocks, block-axis
   # margins do not resolve against the inline dimension of their
   # containing block.

I think this resolves the issue?

~fantasai