Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

> On 05 Nov 2015, at 11:17, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 1:46 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net <mailto:florian@rivoal.net>> wrote:
>   "full 2d" floats are a complicated matter, and I am far from sure
>   a background-position inspired syntax will cut it.
>
> Do ever need full 2D floating?
>
> Does it make sense to only float in the block direction without also floating in the inline direction.
>
> If we don't need to float only in the block direction. For a simple version of page floats, I think we will need these directions as a minimum:
>
> up/down/right/left (filling 100% in the direction it is not floated in)
>
> right/left (using existing block-level)
>
> top-left-left (priority for left)
> top-top-left (priority for top)
>
> top-right-right
> top-top-right
>
> bottom-left-left
> bottom-bottom-left
>
> bottom-right-right
> bottom-bottom-right
>
> center
>
> top-center-center
>
> top-center-right (if this is not the first top-center float, try to place the float to the right of the top center float)
> top-center-left
>
> bottom-center-center
>
> bottom-center-right
> bottom-center-left

Right. There are also things like "float to the bottom of the last column on a right page",
"Float to the top of a particular slot in a page template"...

All in all, I am convinced that floats in more than 1D make sense, but I am not
convinced it is a conventional 2D system.

I may be convinced otherwise, and I am happy to have that discussion. But if we
need an answer now about start vs inline-start, inline-start seems more future proof.

 - Florian