Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 12:35 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

> > On 05 Nov 2015, at 04:02, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > fantasai and I discussed this a bit today after reading Brad's email,
> > and concluded that we did want to stick with just "start" and "end".
> > Details:
> >
> > For today's simple 1-axis floats, "start" and "end" are unambiguous
> > and simple, and consistent with text-align/etc.
> >
> > In the future when we have 2-axis floats (as in the Page Floats
> > module), 'float' can become a 2-value property, consistent with the
> > proposals for background-position and scroll-snap-align.  If you
> > specify one value, it will duplicate to the second value (as normal
> > for CSS).  The default float-reference (inline) will only pay
> > attention to the inline-axis value, so the extraneous block-axis value
> > is ignored (similar to how scroll-snap-align only pays attention to
> > the relevant axis).  For the 2d float references (column, region,
> > page), saying "float: start" will just put you in the start/start
> > corner, which seems fine.
>
> For the moment, page floats are not 2D, they are 2x1D. As in, they can be
> floating either in the inline direction or in the block direction, but not
> both, so your proposal wouldn't quite work.

correct. That is what the current version says. 2D could and should
probably be added eventually, but possibly at another level.

> float-reference, as currently
> specified, does not solve this. It does for float-reference:inline, as you
> described, but not for the other values, since the current behavior allows
> either block or inline, and your syntax would also allow for 2D floating.
>

> We can solve this with more values on float-reference or more properties,
> but I don't really want to conclude on start/end vs inline-start/inline-end
> as values to the float property before we answer that question.
>
> Quick proposal in that direction:
>
> float-axis: auto | inline | block | both
> float-reference: bfc | page | column | region
>
> auto would compute to inline for bfc, and to block for for the other
> values.

Yes, float-axis would work if we want to call both block-start and
inline-start just "start".

But would using it make it harder if we decide to have 2D later on?

--
Johannes Wilm
Fidus Writer