W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > November 2015

Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

From: Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 22:48:21 +0100
Message-ID: <CABkgm-Q=Gt2pL0MT=b5Rn-d_RoBjhPwguWgyw6jNgNUUdjOetA@mail.gmail.com>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Rossen Atanassov <ratan@microsoft.com>, "Elika J. Etemad" <fantasai@inkedblade.net>
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> In the future when we have 2-axis floats (as in the Page Floats
> >> module), 'float' can become a 2-value property, consistent with the
> >> proposals for background-position and scroll-snap-align.  If you
> >> specify one value, it will duplicate to the second value (as normal
> >> for CSS).  The default float-reference (inline) will only pay
> >> attention to the inline-axis value, so the extraneous block-axis value
> >> is ignored (similar to how scroll-snap-align only pays attention to
> >> the relevant axis).  For the 2d float references (column, region,
> >> page), saying "float: start" will just put you in the start/start
> >> corner, which seems fine.
> >
> > Ok, so "float: start" will mean that it floats to the start of the block
> and
> > start of the line, whereas "float: end" will mean it will float to the
> end
> > of the block and end of the line?
>
> Yes.
>
> > In most cases, page floats that float to the block start or end will
> > probably take up the entire length of the line, so that floating to the
> > start or end of the line will have the same effect. So the simplified
> > "float:start" will work fine for those cases.
> >
> > But how about floating to the line start or line end with a float
> reference
> > of column, region or page and taking up 100% in the block direction? How
> > would the author specify that?
>
> Probably "float: none start; height: 100%;".
>

So the "none" is for the block direction. The "start" is for the inline
direction. Just those two would put the float at the same point in the
block direction where the float anchor (call out) is, correct?

Yet the application of "height: 100%" will move the float in the block
direction so that it goes from start to end in the block direction, right?

What if it is "height: 80%"? Will it leave the remaining 20% at the block
start or at the block end?

Or will it depend on the placement of the float anchor?


>
> ~TJ
>
>


-- 
Johannes Wilm
Received on Wednesday, 4 November 2015 21:48:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:08:58 UTC