Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 11:02:11 -0800
To: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Rossen Atanassov <ratan@microsoft.com>, "Elika J. Etemad" <fantasai@inkedblade.net>
fantasai and I discussed this a bit today after reading Brad's email,
and concluded that we did want to stick with just "start" and "end".
Details:

For today's simple 1-axis floats, "start" and "end" are unambiguous
and simple, and consistent with text-align/etc.

In the future when we have 2-axis floats (as in the Page Floats
module), 'float' can become a 2-value property, consistent with the
proposals for background-position and scroll-snap-align.  If you
specify one value, it will duplicate to the second value (as normal
for CSS).  The default float-reference (inline) will only pay
attention to the inline-axis value, so the extraneous block-axis value
is ignored (similar to how scroll-snap-align only pays attention to
the relevant axis).  For the 2d float references (column, region,
page), saying "float: start" will just put you in the start/start
corner, which seems fine.