Re: context css-menu within a table

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:13:36 -0700
To: Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu>
Cc: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu> wrote:
> W dniu 23.07.2015 o 22:39, Tab Atkins Jr. pisze:
>> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 6:20 AM, Sebastian Zartner
>> <sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
> [----------------------]
>>>
>>> Here's a simplified version of Rafał's example:
>>>
>>> https://jsfiddle.net/g9zp6psj/1/
>>>
>>> So it looks like Gecko considers relative positioning of table rows
>>> while Blink and Trident don't.
>>
>> Both behaviors are allowed by CSS 2.1, unfortunately.
>>

> Isn't it calling for specs revision, then?
>
> (I haven't seen the actual wording of the specs, but google returned
> pointers to "behavior is undefined" in that conext. What is the point in
> leaving it undefined? I mean is "undefinition" serve any purpose there???)

A handful of things were left intentionally undefined in CSS 2.1
because browsers differed, and there wasn't a strong expectation that
they would converge their behaviors in a reasonable amount of time.
Rather than hold up finishing 2.1 indefinitely, we undefined those
behaviors, or defined more than one possible behavior that browsers
could use.

In this case, browsers still haven't converged, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~TJ