Re: [selectors4] Features to Defer

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:18:23 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 07/23/2015 07:21 AM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
>> On 21/07/15 22:30, fantasai wrote:
>>>
>>>    ? Column combinator
>>>        Want to double-check satisfaction with syntax, impl interest
>>>    ? :nth-column() pseudo-class
>>>        Biased to at-risk
>>
>> Regarding this, I think that a column and row selector would be handy
>> for CSS Grid Layout. I don't know if it was discussed previously or not,
>> but it seems an interesting use case.
>>
>> Just one example, imagine that you have a grid showing a random number
>> of elements (images, texts, whatever) and the grid have several rows and
>> columns, maybe you want to use a different background for items in
>> odd/even rows.
>
> No, this is only applicable to HTML tables -- it  calculates column
> membership based on the markup only.

In particular, the standard example of:

```
div:in-grid-row(2) {
  grid-row: 3;
}
```

shows why we can't do this for Grid.

Since tables associate elements with a row/column based on the pre-CSS
markup, it's fine.  Note that the column selectors *do not* work on
display:table and friends, for the same reason we can't use them on
Grid.