Re: [css-round-display] Request for first review the css-round-display

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 21:25:21 -0700
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Rossen Atanassov <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
To: Hyojin Song <hyojin22.song@lge.com>

> On Mar 19, 2015, at 1:58 AM, Hyojin Song <hyojin22.song@lge.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> Good evening in Korea. :)
>
> I'm Hyojin Song working for LG Electronics. I presented the
> css-round-display at last Sydney f2f meeting. I'd like to discuss this spec
> in the css mailing list. You can see the specification and the polyfill as
> follows:
>
> - Spec: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-round-display/
> - Polyfill: https://github.com/lgewst/jRound/
>
> We propose four ideas that allow contents to be rendered in a round display
> easily and effectively. We also open the polyfill to show the ideas'
> validity though it is made with no shapely appearance. We will update the
> spec and the polyfill in succession, so let us know any ideas to make up for
> our spec and polyfill. (esp. Daniel, Florian, Alan, Fantasia, ...) There are
> more ideas and issues that aren't written in the spec yet, including
> fantasai's polar position ideas mentioned in the last f2f meeting. Although
> the round display open is delayed a little, we will follow up the
> specification improvement with speed from now on. I believe that LG can play
> a role as the contributor in the css wg regarding market-driven css
> technology for practical use besides the round display.
>
> I'm unfamiliar as the editor of CSS spec, so I need to a lot of help
> (format, direction, convention, etc.) from you.
> Thanks for your feedback in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Hyojin Song

Is ‘shape-inside’ supposed to contain the line-boxes of block box children too (non-BFCs)? If so, then I think you probably don’t need ‘shape-inside:display’, because you could just have this in the UA style sheet of a round display:

:root {
	border-radius:50%;
	shape-inside: shape-box;
}

…and then the root element would shape all the inline flow of its descendants into its ellipse or circle shape.