Re: [css-fonts] "system" generic font name

On 15 July 2015 at 10:18, Michiel Bijl <michiel@agosto.nl> wrote:
> Wouldn’t a dash notation make more sense in the grammer of CSS?
>
> button {
>   font-size: system-menu;
>   font-family: system-caption;
> }

If there are no use cases, which need more than single keywords, this
may be the case. Though I'd argue that the functional notation
emphasizes that you use something external, i.e. system() reads like
"get me something from the system".

On 15 July 2015 at 10:11, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

>> >FWIW that would be easily doable by allowing to set the new keyword on
>> >the other longhands like font-size, font-weight, font-style, etc.
>>
>> Not if the OS uses various sizes or styles of its "system font" for
>> different elements. Are menu items, window titles, icon captions, alert
>> messages, ..., all displayed with the same size?

Right, they can differ, so David's proposal targets this better.

Sebastian