Re: [css-ui-4] caret animations

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 13:47:24 -0700
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
I discussed this a bit more with Shane yesterday, and our conclusion
is that there really isn't sufficient use-case for caret animations to
make it worthwhile to add this kind of thing.  We do need to handle
the existing common styles - solid, blinking, and maybe fading - but
that's it, and it can be done by an explicit property with those
behaviors as keywords.

Yes, it's possible to set the caret to solid and then use caret-color
to recreate blinking in some other style, but we don't think that'll
be common in the first place - who needs that level of explicit
control over a cursor's blink rate?!?  It's probably a good idea to
put in an explicit author-level MUST NOT forbidding using caret-color
in this way, citing a11y concerns.

This means we can just use 'animation' in the normal way when people
do want to animate caret-color.