Re: [selectors] Need to clearly define matching for :first-child, :nth-*, etc

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 15:02:40 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 7/15/15 2:57 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> I think we had that discussion when I originally added :nth-child() to
> a draft of Selectors 3 eons ago. The consensus was that the functional
> pseudo-class does not match if there is no parent IIRC.

Yes. That consensus got reversed at some point, as I understand, and the
intent of level 4 is that they should match in this case, by assuming
the element is the only child of its (nonexistent) parent...

Now I'll go back to trying to implement these specs and let you guys
keep flipflopping.  ;)

-Boris