Re: [css-fonts] "system" generic font name

> On 15 Jul 2015, at 9:24 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Dean Jackson composed on 2015-07-15 08:54 (UTC+1000):
>
>> We just want to match the family.
>
> Why?

Michiel answered this very well.

> If you want to match family, why not match everything

Exactly because you don't want to match everything.

> , getting maximum
> A11Y/U7Y in the process, by simply not overriding users' settings using any
> font styling at all? Why not assume the UI family is the same family as the
> browser content default, as often happens anyway?

Haven't the answers here already shown this to be false?

Load this URL data:text/html,hello

It is definitely not the system UI font family on OS X, iOS, or Windows. I don't know about Android. (Note: it seems IE/Edge doesn't allow data urls in the address bar, so you'll have to put an HTML file somewhere).

Dean