Re: [web-animations] Request to publish another WD of Web Animations

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I'm a bit confused (still). In looking through the document, it looks as though
> almost everything that looks like "traditional" animation (in terms of the 15
> year old thing that people used to call a "W3C Standard" -- I finally understand
> W3C's use of the word "recommendation") has been replaced by JavaScript calls.
> I've been too busy developing content to try to digest the document properly.
> I realize developing content now is a most precarious thing, but I figure we
> might have a few years until everything breaks.

Don't panic: I doubt there is any intention to break anything that
works now.  This...

> " The animation features in SVG 1.1 are defined in terms of SMIL Animation
> [SMIL-ANIMATION]. It is intended that by defining SVG’s animation features
> in terms of the Web Animations model, the dependency between SVG and
> SMIL Animation can be removed."

as I read it anyway, is a proposal to *swap out the implementation* of
the existing animation features of SVG 1.1, not to take them away.
Instead of being a declarative shorthand for SMIL, these features are
now a declarative shorthand for Web Animations.

Note also this sentence in the introduction

| The Web Animations model is intended to *provide the features necessary*
| for expressing CSS Transitions [CSS3-TRANSITIONS], CSS Animations
| [CSS3-ANIMATIONS], and SVG [SVG11].

emphasis mine.

zw