Re: [css-writing-modes] Propose writing-mode: sideways-left

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> this misses a key thing i was looking for, which is where the line start
> is, and how the text is aligned.
>
> from the rest of your email, i conclude that the following applies. Is
> this correct?
>
> [1,2] writing-mode: sideways-lr;
> [5]   writing-mode: sideways-lr; text-align: end;
> [4]   writing-mode: sideways-rl;
> [7,8] writing-mode: sideways-rl; text-align: end;
> [6]   writing-mode: vertical-rl;

Correct. Sorry I omitted text-align part ;-)

> i think the key to clarity here is to indicate *what* it's a clockwise
> rotation of: characters or lines?  As i understand it, it a clockwise
> rotation of lines (or sometimes parts of a line).
>
> that makes sense. So effectively, writing-mode determines the orientation
> of lines, with the caveat that if you use vertical-xx, it also factors in
> an upright rotation of certain characters so that CJK look upright and
> Mongolian looks right too.
>
> that seems ok to me.

Correct. The current spec has consistent in one aspect, but the *what* was
not consistent, and the new proposal fixes that.

the new proposal seems more straightforward to me.

Great to hear that.

> [Actually, the setting of the top of the three boxes containing text is
> set at a regular offset from one line to the next, which makes me think
> this is 3 separate boxes with text aligned towards the top of the page. So
> with this proposal, i think you'd have to have
>  writing-mode: sideways-lr; text-align: end;
> set on the box containing Latin.]

Sorry, I don't follow this part. What is the "top of the three boxes"?

> if, however, the text was embedded inline and ran up the page - which is
> what [3] in the original image should have shown, if i hadn't forgotten to
> fix it, and what [3] now shows in the attached, updated image – i'm
> assuming that the current proposal would require you to do something like
> add a span around the latin text and apply CSS per
>
> span.latin { writing-modes: sideways-rl; }

Correct.

> assuming that that's correct, if we add span.latin { margin-start: 10px;
> }, does the space open up above or below the latin text?

Below. The span is an inline-block with a mixed writing-mode. Within the
block, "start" is physical bottom.

> If, however, we add span.latin { ruby-align: start; } and the rt says 'a',
> i assume that the 'a' would appear over 'W' in W3C.  Is that right?

Yes.

/koji