Re: [css-writing-modes] Propose writing-mode: sideways-left

fantasai wrote:

> Thinking about this some more, though, I think what we can do
> is move *both* orientations into the writing-mode, like this:
>
>   writing-mode: horizontal-tb | vertical-rl | vertical-lr | sideways-rl |
sideways-lr;
>   text-orientation: mixed | upright | sideways (or sideways-rl)

Both of these proposals seem like extremely poor property design to me.
Putting text-orientation values into the 'writing-mode' property will be
totally confusing for authors, both those working with vertical captions in
non-CJK text and for those working with non-CJK vertical scripts.

I think we should keep the 'writing-mode' and 'text-orientation' properties
simple and orthogonal and not try and turn 'writing-mode' into some form of
pseudo-shorthand.

Implementations will eventually implement 'sideways-left' for vertical
caption use. Just because they haven't done so yet is not really a good
justification for moving 'sideways-left' into 'writing-mode'.

Regards,

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan

​