Re: Wide Color Gamut and High Dynamic Range displays

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Even if the input and output have a wide gamut, you'd still need to do
> color
> > management as the profile of the display will not match the one of the
> > picture.
>
> Yeah, there's still profile transformation, it just doesn't go through
> an sRGB intermediary, so it can be higher-fidelity without us having
> to worry about making *everything* wide-gamut-friendly.

It's a slippery slope. Authors are going to want to color match the content
around the video (= reason we added color management to flash), or apply
transparency or filters.
I think we would be better off designing a proper solution (which really
isn't that hard) than tinker with difficult partial ones.