Re: [css-ruby] Default font-size of ruby annotation with ruby-position: inter-character

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 12/16/2014 11:11 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> According to documents provided by editors of CLReq, the standard font
>>> size
>>> of bopomofo in inter-character ruby is 30% of the base text, not 50% like
>>> Japanese ruby.
>>>
>>> The current WebKit implementation introduces a new keyword
>>> -webkit-ruby-text, and interpret this to 25% when ruby-position is
>>> inter-character, and 50% otherwise.
>>>
>>> I suggest that this behavior have its place in the spec, but I'm not sure
>>> what's the best way to do so.
>>>

>> Thank you for bringing this up. There was a request for a property to
>> specify the ruby text size, but from spec-perspective, it was lower
>> priority so we postponed. So one way is to spec what WebKit does,
>> either by investigating or by asking, and if you implement, we'll get
>> two implementations.
>>
>> The other option is you do whatever you like internally, and we don't
>> need to spec.
>>
>> Whichever you prefer is fine with me, I just want to avoid to spec
>> something that is low priority and won't be implemented by at least
>> two UAs.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> The property for specifying the size of ruby text is 'font-size'.
> Saying anything else needs to be approved by the WG (and I think
> will get rejected, it makes no sense).
>
> We had a suggested default UA style sheet that specified the size
> of ruby text at 50% of the base text.
>
> This was all very clearly specified, and writing anything else about
> the font size is not a "clarification", it's a very significant change.
>
> If we need to add a new automagic keyword to 'font-size' to handle
> ruby, we can bring that up for consideration. But adding a paragraph
> saying the font size is UA-dependent is IMHO not the right approach.

OK, then, let's add a keyword for 'font-size', say 'ruby-text', and make it
be computed according to ruby-position. It is computed to 30% when
ruby-position is inter-character, and 50% otherwise.

I'm going to implement this, and WebKit has implemented a prefixed one
called '-webkit-ruby-text'. (Though it uses 25% instead of 30%, and I have
no idea why)

- Xidorn