Re: [css-sizing] variations on max-content/preferred sizing

On 01/25/2015 04:40 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 2015-01-23 22:01 -0500, fantasai wrote:
>> Currently Tab and I are thinking of naming the first concept
>> 'max-content' size (since it is a true maximum) and the second concept
>> 'preferred' size, at least in the spec.
>
> I'm not convinced that a single case affecting only multicol means
> we should carry both concepts around in specs and implementations,
> and potentially exposed to authors.  What use cases require that we
> not just pick one of the behaviors for multicol, and eliminate the
> other concept?

I now think the concept we want to expose (via shrink-to-fit sizing
and probably also as 'max-content') is the 'preferred size' one.

However the other concept is a thing that exists, whether exposed
by keyword or not. I'm not actually sure if it's needed, though
I'm suspicious it might show up as we're dealing with things like
orthogonal flows in tables/flexboxes.

~fantasai