Re: [css-text] Line Breaking Phrases

On 01/05/2015 06:03 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> On 2015-01-04 Jirka Kosek wrote:
>> On 3.1.2015 23:58, Michał Gołębiowski wrote:
>>> I'd b very happy if such a thing existed in CSS. In Poland it's
>>> considered an error to put single-letter words like 'w' ('in'),
>>> 'z' ('with') etc. at the end of the line.
>>
>> It would be difficult to make generic rule for this, especially for
>> all locales (in Czech we have similar rule which has roots in
>> technical limitations of lead type). The most common approach is to
>> fix this issue by inserting non-breaking space at server side, ideally
>> just once when content is stored/modified at the server.
>
> +1
>
> Usually it is not just prepositions, imagine cases like 'the range 0.2 - 2 N' or '100 000 K'.
>
> And we should not forget that the complexity would grow with enabled hyphenation...

I don't think we can automate this. Those cases should be nbsp anyway;
the UA should *never* be allowed to break there, and that's what nbsp
is for. (Actually, some of those are maybe a non-breakable thin space
not a U+20-width justifiable space. But I'm not sure exactly what
Unicode codepoint is the right one to use here.)

~fantasai