Re: [css-inline] Re: Request for advice: Initial letter behaviour

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:07:01 +0900
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Cc: "CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org)" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

> In order to try and inform issue 3 from css-inline (interaction of drop/raised caps with ruby), I tried to look up examples of CJK (focusing mainly on Japanese) text having both a drop/raised cap and ruby, and mostly failed.
> :
> Does anyone have input on this? Is the ruby + drop/raised cap combination indeed so rare that it might as well not exist, or are there cases where it is used? How much does this vary across languages?

I agree it's rare, a combination of a rare feature and a rare feature,
so it's really rare, but hard to say it does not exist.

What issues are you trying to solve by finding an example? What are
the problems you need to define? Alignment should be easy as far as I
understand -- you should simply align base text, then put ruby as
needed, no?

/koji