Re: CSS Localization

From: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:45:33 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:28 AM
To: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: CSS Localization

>Reiterating my earlier point, if the *users* are giving some explicit
>instruction, it's much more effective for them to give it to the
>browser itself, so the browser can apply their wishes to *all* pages,
>not just those who went to the trouble of setting everything up
>correctly.

Though I violently agree with the principle, I once saw data suggesting
the number of end-users who are comfortable discovering and tweaking
browser preferences to be pretty low, fwiw. (Many people have no idea
their default search engine is something they can change, to take a
popular example). I’m not suggesting giving an API is the better anwer
here; but shoving things in browser config is not as obvious a win as it
seems.