Re: [css-flexbox] Horizontal layout containment of inline text

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 15:59:30 -0800
To: Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> A less-involved bit of work would be to have a 'width' keyword that
> had special behavior for multicol elements; if they had a definite
> height, it would set the width to the result of doing multicol layout
> accordingly (it would presumably be equivalent to 'auto' in all other
> circumstances).  That would *not* be a ton of work, and would solve
> the problem in the SO post.  However, it's probably also low-value,
> since most of the time you don't want things to scroll horizontally at
> all.

And actually, more-or-less this issue was raised back in 2007:
<https://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css-multicol>.  You probably can't see
the email it links to, as it dates from the time when we sent our
telcon minutes to the private list, but it invokes a very similar
problem - when a multicol has a definite height, we can reasonably
invert the normal width/height dependencies and let the width depend
on the height.  I'm recording this thread as additional input on the
issue for multicol 4.