Re: [css-variables] Is making a property negative via `-var(--width)` valid syntax?

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 13:39:51 +0100
To: "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>, "Philip Walton" <philip@philipwalton.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Hello Simon,

> But it seems to me you're only likely to want it for var(). Since this
> appears to be a pattern people use in the preprocessor world, should we
> just support it? It wouldn't be difficult to define a new -var(x) function
> as calc(-1 * var(x)), right? Too much of a hack? Slippery slope?

Doesn't -var() mean either:

a) the vendor-prefixed () for the var vendor, or
b) a parse error because the vendor prefix should end with a - as well

otherwise, defining it as syntactic sugar for calc seems okay. But
then authors will expect to negate other functions in a similar way,
no?

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley