Re: [gcpm] coalescing sequences of numbers for cross-references, back-of-the-book index etc

From: Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 00:20:27 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 15:01 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Right, but you haven't proposed a mechanism for *finding* the page
> numbers yet.

We already have such a mechanism in CSS, in gcpm:
  content: target-counter(attr(href, url), page)

I omitted that since I don't need to propose it. A full solution would
be using something like

a::::before  {
  content: target-counter(attr(href, url), page)
}

There's a minor detail to resolve here relating to pages whose
formatted numbers are not arabic numerals (e.g. prelims with i, ii, iii
etc, or an apendix B-1, B-2) and the formatter needs to work with the
value of the global page counter rather than the formatted string.

Liam