Re: [mediaqueries] Add epub/page to media queries list?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:04:58 -0800
To: Zheng Xu <zxu@kobo.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Zheng Xu <zxu@kobo.com> wrote:
> I am wondering are we able to add epub/page to media queries list?
>
> I have read mediaquies-4 but can not find any of them is proper for a
> displaying(on screen, not printer) paginate media
> http://www.w3.org/TR/mediaqueries-4
>
> The requirement is because
> 1. dynamic: it’s for displaying on screen, not printer, such as epub reading
> system (RS) which is based on web browser rendering engine. So, javascript,
> animation should can work on this media type.
> 2. pagination: it still needs a paginated layout to enable like
> break-before/after on screen, instead of printer preview.
> 3. some css might be more proper for continues displaying not paged media.
>
> Just a rough idea, welcome advice, questions, or concerns.

"Media types", like "print" or "screen", are deprecated - for several
technical reasons, they're badly designed and won't be added to.
However, we have several media queries that help you handle epub
things:

* (overflow-block: paged) which is true for paged epub books
* (update-frequency: slow) or (update-frequency: normal) for whether
the page is fully, normally updateable (like an LCD screen) or slow to
update (like eink)
* (scripting) which is true if you can run script
* (monochrome) for things like monochrome eink

Which media features you want to use depends on what you're doing, of course.