Re: [lots] -webkit prefixed properties and values

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2015, at 09:21, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As an implementor that started from scratch, I disagree.
>
> What are you disagreeing with? That there are about zero new
> implementations? Or that we should put these properties in the spec?

The former, and the assertion that new implementors "are unlikely to
start from scratch".

> FWIW, I realise Servo exists. I wasn’t trying to suggest that it shouldn’t
> be counted. I should have said that it is extremely unlikely that a
> starting-from-scratch implementation will only consider the canonical
> W3C specifications and pretend everything else doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here.  Are you saying that new
implementations should be forced to take compat-pain to see what
undocumented things they need to support, and then reverse-engineer
existing implementations?  If so, I strongly disagree.

> As for the prefixed properties, it’s not clear to me what criteria is
> necessary for it to be considered essential enough to document.
> e.g. -moz-column-count or -moz-animation.

It appears to be "another major browser was forced to implement it due
to sufficient compat pain".  We (Chrome) clearly don't care about
whatever tiny fraction of pages use only -moz-animation; they're
either FF tech demos, or practically non-existent.