[css-shapes][css-images] Ellipse syntax(es) with a single radius

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 18:18:18 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: "rob.buis@samsung.com" <rob.buis@samsung.com>, "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>
Hey all,

In a bug [1], it’s noted that the ellipse() function is defined to only accept 0 or 2 radius values. If one radius is provided, it’s an invalid shape function. Tab suggested in the bug that we allow a 1-radius ellipse, and just set the second radius to the same as the first.

As I recall [2], I defined the ellipse function to match what we have in radial-gradient(), where if an ellipse ending-shape is explicitly used, you can only use 0 or 2 radius values.

I don’t much care whether we allow one-radius ellipse syntax or not, but if we do I think we should also change radial-gradient() to match. I don’t think it’s terribly useful to have a one-radius ellipse that devolves to a circle, though. So I’m slightly inclined against the change because I don’t think the limited use warrants mucking around with gradients.

Thanks,

Alan

[1] https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=555684

[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Dec/0015.html