Re: Minutes Sapporo F2F 2015-10-26 Part II: font-weight-adjust, Box Alignment, Dev Meetup in Sydney [css-fonts] [css-align]

On 11/21/2015 03:25 PM, Mats Palmgren wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 02:38 AM, Dael Jackson wrote:
>> Box Alignment
>> -------------
>>
>>    - RESOLVED: All layout modes use "true" alignment by default for
>>                the alignment properties.
>> [...]
>>    fantasai: So is everyone fine with the current switch syntax? Or
>>              just have the "safe" keyword, and make unspecified be
>>              "true"?
>>    dbaron: We might eventually want to apply this to text-align,
>>            which defaults to "safe".
>>
>>    szilles: I think it's better to have authors specify what they mean.
>>    fantasai: Too late for that unfortunately - the properties already
>>              allow it to be omitted in implementations.
>>    fantasai: [discusses serialization]
>>    fantasai: If you write "true center", it'll serialize back to just
>>              "center", since omitted defaults to "true".
>>    TabAtkins: So per dbaron's argument, I think it's fine to leave
>>               "true" here. We don't need it yet, but it'll simplify
>>               merging in more alignment properties later.
>

> It's not clear to me what was decided about serialization.
> Does the above mean that "true start" should serialize to "start" now?

Yes, that's a side-effect of making the omission of 'true' equivalent
to leaving it in -- since properties always serialize to their shortest
representation (modulo any back-compat issues).

~fantasai