Re: [mediaqueries] New requirements for media queries from Second Screen WG

> On 02 Dec 2015, at 18:07, Hyojin Song <hyojin22.song@lge.com> wrote:
>
> I could understand that all media types were already deprecated except "screen", "print", and "speech", and the three remaining media types will be replaced by something like media features in mediaqueries4.
>
> I looked into the media features, but I guess it's not the right category to identify physical device types. I would like to focusing on the physical device types(e.g. tv, projector, signage), not device capability(screen size, resolution), but I don’t yet know how to capture those physical device types.

We are trying to avoid identifying the physical media type, because even if it looks like a good idea originally, in practice it does not work well.

> For what I know about CSS, There is no way to identify between the physical devices, while media="projector or tv" which was a deprecated feature could be possible to distinguish the devices.

In practice, media="projector or tv" did not work. browsers had to lie, and say that media=screen even if they were really on a tv or a projector, otherwise, websites that were made without thinking of the tv or the projector (most of them) would fail to work properly.

> There would be some usecase to display Web content differently between tv and projector, even though a resolution and a screen size are same in both devices.

Why? This is not a trick question. Knowing what kind of difference you make between the two, and what is the reason for this difference, is the key to providing you with the media query you need.

> For example, when a mobile send a Web content to a tablet, it shows differently according to whether the tablet is connecting with a bluetooth keyboard or not.

Right. We have media queries for the mouse (pointer, hover), but not for the keyboard. This is a known issue. If you could give some details about what kind of difference you expect depending on the presence or absence of the keyboard, that may help solve it.

> I guess the other input methods would be reviewed such as keyboard, gesture, voice. In addition, several use cases [6] triggered in Second Screen WG, could be referenced for this.

I've briefly been through these use cases, and I don't see enough information to answer the question above.