Re: [css-break] Independence of parallel flows

On 01/14/2014 10:48 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> [I'm back after a few months' break from CSS things; now with different e-mail
>   address.]
>
> I happened to be just in the middle of reading css-break when I saw Peter
> Linss' message about publishing an updated WD of css-break.
>
> I don't know whether or not you'll want to address any of these comments before
> publishing the WD, but I thought it best to post what I have now to give you
> the option.
>
> The cost of doing so is that some of these comments might be a bit premature,
> i.e. I haven't finished going through the spec, so don't yet have a feel for
> what it's trying to do with each of these bits.  I'll split into separate
> messages, other than gathering together the more editorial comments.
>

> §2.1 ‘Parallel Fragmentation Flows’: independence
>
>    To say that the choice of fragmentation break inside one flow has absolutely
>    no influence on the choice of break in another seems too strong.  It would
>    look odd if one flow extended a line or more beyond where another flow ends
>    (in this fragmentainer) (as might occur as a result of widow/orphan
>    considerations).  This paragraph seems to read as forbidding a UA from
>    improving the page appearance by allowing a widow consideration in one flow
>    to affect the choice of fragmentation break in other flows.
>
>    If we accept that CSS should not prescribe the exact choice of line breaks,
>    then I see no reason to enforce ugly page breaks on conforming UAs.
>
>    I suspect that this wasn't actually the intent of this section, but I so far
>    haven't worked out what it does intend by "independently" and "not affect the
>    content wrapping".

Updated the text as follows:

  # When multiple formatting contexts are laid out parallel to each other,
  # fragmentation is performed independently in each formatting context.
  # For example, if an element is floated, then a forced break inside the
  # float will not affect the content outside the float (except insofar
  # as it may increase the height of the float). UAs may (but are not
  # required to) adjust the placement of unforced breaks in parallel
  # formatting contexts to visually balance such side-by-side content,
  # but must not do so to match a forced break.

Please let me know if this addresses your comment.

Thanks~

~fantasai