Re: [css-ui] text-overflow and text-orientation: upright

Xidorn Quan wrote:

> The spec says that U+2026 should be used for rendering ellipsis,
> however, it seems to be a bit unfortunate when it is used with vertical
> text and text-orientation is upright.
>
> It causes something like

> …
>
> instead of

> ⋮
>
> Not sure what's the best way to resolve this issue. Probably the spec
> could state that, U+FE19 should be used in that specific case.

The solution is to use a font that supports vertical text:

  p { font-family: Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN, Meiryo; }

This will do want you want for this case because the 'vert' feature is
always applied to upright vertical textruns. Making this work for fonts
lacking support for vertical layout (vertical metrics, vertical
substitutions) is out of scope for user agents I think.

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan
​