Re: [css-text] copying text-transform'd text

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 20:58:30 +0900
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On Apr 2, 2015, at 11:41, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> I think we probably need to get the browsers to agree on this
> issue and put the required behavior in the spec, so authors know
> what to expect.
>
> Personally I don't think the copied text should be affected by
> the transform: if that's a key part of the text's presentation,
> then it should be done in the source. There's a lot of cases
> where it wouldn't make sense to copy out the style. E.g. putting
> the first word (or phrase) of an article is a stylistic choice
> that shouldn't come out in the plaintext copy.

I disagree on both the desired behavior and standardizing this behavior.

I personally prefer What You See Is What You Copy. How itís written in the source file doesnít matter much to me when Iím viewing a web site. Especially if we were to introduce regex based text-transform in future, itís even more confusing.

And I think plain-textizing belongs to browser UX. If you donít like a behavior in your favorite browser, filing a bug to the browser makes more sense to me.

/koji