Re: [css-flexbox] intrinsic sizing

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 10:03:23 -0700
To: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
message-id: <5522BC5B.9010505@mozilla.com>
On 04/06/2015 09:24 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> It says "For each flex item, subtract its flex base size from its
> max-content contribution size"
>
> However, doesn't calculating the flex base size require laying out the
> item? I didn't think that calculating intrinsic widths should require
> layout?

I think I agree. Maybe this should depend on whether the flex-basis is
definite (case A from flex base size determination), and/or
definite-via-an-aspect-ratio (case B)?

> My second question is:
> "Place all flex items into lines of infinite length."
>
> If we place them on lines of infinite length, doesn't that mean we
> have just a single line?

Yes, unless there's a forced break. See:
  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#algo-line-break
Items are added to a line as long as they fit (which they always will on
an infinite-length line, as you say) "or until a forced break is
encountered". Forced breaks are defined here:
  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#pagination

~Daniel