Re: Font MIME types

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 08:58:11 +0200
To: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>
Cc: David Kuettel <kuettel@google.com>, John Hudson <john@tiro.ca>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>
On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
> A top-level MIME category for fonts is not necessary.  Neither are new
> registrations.  Font type detection based EXCLUSIVELY on in-band
> metadata is the correct way to do it.

Of course, the font engine would still do that. This is however about
preventing non-font files from entering that code path as determined
by the server administrator. E.g. if someone allows CSS files to be
uploaded that are not validated, they could then not be used as fonts.

It would be nice if browsers always looked at file signatures first,
but they don't and I suspect that changing that would actually break
some (bizarre) setups. (Even better would be if all files had a
required signature, but that's also not true.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/