Re: Font MIME types

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 10:55 AM, John Hudson <john@tiro.ca> wrote:

>  I'm defining X-Content-Type-Options which can be used to prevent
>> sniffing. I think it would make sense to support this header for
>> various font loading features that currently ignore MIME types.
>> However, that requires a list of font MIME types. Where should we keep
>> the definitive list? In the Font Loading specification?
>>

> David Kuettel catalogued the (mostly non-standard) MIME types being used
> for fonts, for the Webfonts working group, in preparation for making a new
> case for a top-level font MIME type:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kP3Edo3nDN_
> 2HS6IZK6DMnrvEG1StbY5OKmbwA1ilXI/edit

Thank you John and Anne!  Here is a link to the updated analysis for 2015:

*Web Font Media Type Analysis 2015*
http://goo.gl/zbDhUN

For reference, Vlad Levantovsky has proposed a new top-level media type for
fonts (along with a set of subtypes) in the editor's draft of the WOFF 2.0
specification:

*WOFF File Format 2.0 - Appendix A: Internet Media Type Registration*
http://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF2/spec/#IMT

Perhaps this could become the definitive list.  Once approved (fingers
crossed), we would expect to see a rapid shift to the new, simple and
intuitive font media types.

At the moment, the ones in use for fonts are all over the board (as shown
in the analysis), which would likely complicate support for